Servicing Clients in the Twin Cities and Across the Country
Questions? Call Us Now (763) 445-2772
Retirement Income Planning is the planning one does to be prepared for life after paid work ends. It is a completely different mentality from when one is still working and is just trying to accumulate assets. One must create a realistic distribution plan that must ensure that their income lasts at least as long as their retirement will. The non-financial aspects include such lifestyle choices as how to spend time in retirement, where to live, when to completely quit working, etc. A holistic approach to retirement planning considers all of these areas.
Most people are confused and overwhelmed by the rules that surround Social Security and the uncertainty about its future. The complexity of Social Security is compounded by the complexities of life. People get married, divorced, they re-marry, they die, they have children, they adopt children, they get injured, they lose a job, find a new job, etc. Not to mention Social Security has had to adapt over the past 80+ years in order to address the changing realities of life in America. Congress has even made its own changes to benefits and definitions.
Therefore, I help my clients answer the main questions:
- When is the best age to start receiving Social Security?
- What is Full Retirement Age (FRA)?
- Should I take Social Security as soon as possible?
- What are “Delayed Retirement Credits” (DRCs) and how do they work?
- Are all benefits eligible for Delayed Retirement Credits?
- Can I stop receiving benefits and re-start them at a future date?
- What do you have to do to stop receiving benefits from Social Security?
- How does “file-and-suspend” work?
- How does “file-and-restrict” work?
- How are Social Security benefits taxed?
- If you are divorced, are you eligible for a benefit based on your ex-spouse?
- Will Social Security notify my ex-spouse that I am filing for a benefit based upon his/her record?
- If I go back to work, will I lose my Social Security benefit?
- What are the Social Security benefits for same-sex couples?
Contact me if any of these questions keep you up at night!